No products in the cart.
Real Aussie Says
Immerse yourself in the remote Australian outback of the West Macdonnell Ranges.
1 Day West MacDonnell Ranges Tour
- Trip Styles: Budget
Experience the spectacular outback scenery of Tjoritja West MacDonnell Ranges.
Join our West MacDonnell Ranges day trip from Alice Springs. You will find the West Mac’s just west of Alice Springs, an adventure playground of chasms, gorges, and eye-popping scenery.
Tjoritja (pronounced choor-it-ja) is the Western and Central Aranda name for MacDonnell Ranges.
The West MacDonnell Ranges are also full of history and culture, important sacred sites for Central and Western Arrernte Aboriginal people.
On this day tour to the West MacDonnell Ranges, you will take many stunning walks. First, at Simpsons Gap the epic gorge carved out of the Ranges by Roe Creek, where water flows through a small gap. Then to Standley Chasm, known traditionally as Angkerle Atwatye, the sheer rock chasm where you will walk amongst acacias, ghost gums, and cypress pines. Visit Ochre Pits to see the vivid colours of the mineral rock formations.
Ellery Creek Big Hole is where we spend the afternoon on tour, when the sun is hot the water is perfect for a refreshing dip!
Explore the grandeur of one of the largest national parks in Northern Territory on our 1 day West MacDonnell Ranges tour from Alice Springs.
West MacDonnell Ranges Tjoritja
We can't confirm real time availability on this tour. Please enquire about this trip and we will get immediately back to you!
Our travellers often combine this trip with some of these trips:
What To Bring
- Explore the West MacDonnell National Park, known by the traditional owners as Tjoritja
- Marvel at the awe of Standley Chasm traditionally known as Angkerle Atwatye as you meander through the 80m high gorge
- Cool off at Ellery Creek Big Hole, one of Central Australia’s largest and most beautiful swimming spots
- See the UNESCO-listed Ochre Pit mineral rockface and coloured clay ochre still used in traditional ceremonies
- Refresh within the towering walls of Ormiston Gorge, traditionally known as Kwartatuma
- Try for a glimpse of the very shy black-footed-rock-wallaby and other native wildlife through Simpsons Gap, traditionally known as Rungutjirpa
- Water bottle (at least 1 litre)
- Strong, non-slip walking shoes
- Hat (wide-brimmed is best)
- Casual and comfortable clothing (cool, light clothing is best in summer and warm clothing for winter)
- Cash for purchasing dot painting directly from artists at sunset
- Child fare prices apply from 6 to 12 years old. Not suitable for infants or children 5 years old and under, due to safety requirements and the level of fitness required to complete the walks.
- This itinerary may vary to adapt to seasonal changes and occasionally spots in the parks close or do not allow swimming. As safety is our top priority we plan accordingly to ensure our guests have the most fun and best experience possible while on tour.
- A moderate level of fitness is required to complete the walks.
- This terrain is not suitable for mobility-impaired travelers, wheelchairs, walkers, prams, or strollers.
- Limited storage space on our vehicle, baggage kept to 1 x 5-7kg day bag per person.
- Do not book flights out after this day tour as it will finish between 5 to 6pm.
What are the departure and return times?
We leave Alice Springs at approximately 7:00 am and return to Alice Springs at around 5:30 pm.
Is this tour family friendly?
Child fare prices apply from 6 to 12 years old. Not suitable for infants or children 5 years old and under, due to safety requirements and the level of fitness required to complete the walks.
What will the weather be like on tour?
The weather in the Northern Territory can fluctuate and be extreme. It is not unheard of for temperatures to reach over 40+ degrees Celsius in the dry season and in the evening the temperature drops dramatically. Please ensure you have checked the average temperatures for the time of year you are traveling and have packed adequate clothing. In the event of rain or inclement weather, your experience will still go ahead, unless contacted by the provider.